Corkscrew Review: Oster FPSTBW8207-S
Today, we’re going to review the FPSTBW8207-S Electric Corkscrew by Oster.
Now, that’s definitely not a sexy name to begin with. Oster should work a bit on their product names. Get something more suitable to a good bottle of wine!
Now, what does this particular corkscrew do? The vendor says:
- Cordless electric bottle opener removes the cork in seconds
- Opens up to 30 bottles on a single charge
- simple push-button operation
- Foil cutter for easily removing seals
- comfortable soft-grip handle
- Sleek, sophisticated design
- recharging base included
- Ships in Certified Frustration-Free Packaging
That’s all well and good, but what does it tell us? How is it really? Why should you choose this particular wine bottle opener? Actually, why choosing an electric corkscrew at all?
Let’s see the main differences between this electric bottle opener and a traditional corkscrew:
- The Oster FPSTBW8207-S doesn’t need any strength to operate.
- This makes it great for the elderly, and is among the best corkscrews for arthritis suffering people
- It works well with any kind of corks, natural and synthetic, that some traditional models could destroy
- It doesn’t shake the wine with a final “pop”, which might degrade an old wine
- It includes a top-grade foil cutter
How does it compare with other electric bottle openers?
- The Oster FPSTBW8207-S is cordless, which is very practical for opening the bottle right among your guests
- The charging base is included, making it always ready and easy to store
- It takes a small footprint on your countertop
- It comes in 3 stylish colors (silver, champagne, and merlot finish)
- It has a great battery life (up to 30 bottles on one single charge)
How does it actually fare in real-world usage?
We had an extensive review of real-world usage, and were able to isolate the good from the less good. Here goes:
- It is indeed effortless, and can be operated easily with one hand
- Its cordless design makes it really convenient in parties, no more going to the kitchen to open the bottle!
- It fares very well with most kinds of corks (see the cons for old, soft, fragile corks)
- Its battery life makes it great for casual users
It is a pretty good product indeed, however it’s not without some flaws:
- Very old or fragile corks might not resist so well, and gentle, manual action might be in order. The use of a two-prongs manual bottle opener would be a safer bet in these cases
- The contacts on the charging base can oxidize and not charge the unit properly. A regular check and cleaning of the contacts could save you a lot of trouble
- Some heavy users (one bottler per day or more) find that the Oster FPSTBW8207-S might not be up to the task, with performance degrading after a few months. Most casual users disagree, but it’s worth mentioning if you intend intensive use
- In some cases, it happened that the cork might break up inside the unit. If that happens, removing the cork might prove difficult
Is it for you?
The Oster FPSTBW8207-S really is a nice unit, particularly targeted to casual users wanting fast and efficient service, or users having difficulties with manual corkscrews. During parties, it allows for spending more time with your guests, and can actually be a real conversation starter!
jedoch, if you’re in for intense use and have an extensive cellar, including old vintages, you might be better served with another model, such as The Rabbit.